Re: way for me to turn off if-modified-since & always return 304 reply ?

Manik Taneja wrote:
Nope, there is no way you can prevent the client from sending you an IMS request.

The above is correct, but if I understand the OP question correctly, the basic issue is to make sure that the client does not re-use a cached page, but always retrieves the latest page from the server.

There is a whole array of things one can do on the server side, to at least try to achieve this. I don't recall all the specifics, but look for instance at HTTP headers such as "Cache-control".
See here
section 14.9

The general idea is : the server, by a combination of HTTP headers sent along with the documents, and tags in the documents themselves, should be able to tell the client whether this page can, or cannot, be cached and re-used. And according to the HTTP specifications, the client (and any intermediate proxies) should obey these instructions.

Now whether they always actually do, is anothet issue.
(But in the practice I have noticed that they generally do).

To modify the HTTP headers that Apache sends along with documents, you could use something like this :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_headers.html
or mod_perl handlers.

André