Re: hardware for proxy

solprovider@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Alexandru David Constantinescu
<aldavx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandru David Constantinescu [mailto:aldavx@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:20 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  hardware for proxy
I plan to implement a proxy server for apache. The idea is to act like
firewall, proxy , load balancer and cache. It must  serve around 2000
sites. The backend servers I don't know for now how many will be, but I
am prepare to start with 2 or 3 and in case of heavy load , increase
this number. My question is what hardware do you recommend for proxy.
do
 I need fast cpu's or lots of core's. In terms of ram the things are
clear : apache need ram. Do you recommend scsi or sata disks etc ?
If someone have experience or suggestions please give me a sign.
Thanks
There is no SSL.
The sites are very active (it is a share hosting environment and this is the
reason why I wanna try the proxy) and beside that we plan to expand.
We have between 50~300 reqs/sec (depend on time of the day) with around
10~20 kb/reqs and this is not the busiest server. Probably we need something
to hold around 5000 reqs/sec like a frontend.

5000 reqs/sec @ 20 KB/req = 100 MB/sec = 1Gbaud.  One gigabit network
connection might max out so you probably want two gigabit network
connections -- standard on most rack servers.

A recent single-core CPU is probably more than enough -- proxying is
not very processor-intensive.  Bus speed is more important than CPU
speed.

SCSI is stable; SATA is new.  One of the SATA hard drives in our most
recently purchased server died after a few weeks (and the RAID failed
to rebuild.)  Everything should run in RAM if you really need
performance so drive speed only affects start times (unless this
server will cache too.)

500 MB RAM is probably overkill; a new server will have at least 2 GB.

A modern desktop computer should handle the expected load (excluding
the second network connection.)  Use that server you just bought and
have not delivered.  Install and load test.  If you notice any
performance problems, adjust the specs for the new server.  Start
inexpensive.  You do not need the first server to handle future
capacity.  When the first server slows even a little, you can move
half the websites to another server before deciding how to build the
ultimate system.  Then you will have real performance numbers for the
decision.

solprovider

I appreciate your answer. Now I have a point to start.
Thank you all

alex