Permissions issues with external volumes

Hi folks I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this question or that someone could help point me in the right direction if it's not.

Here is the scenario I am trying to accomplish.  OS X 10.4.11 running Apache version 1.3.   I want to share out folder that resides on a volume that is mounted via afp to the web server.  In the httpd.conf file I added the Alias Directive  "Alias /Stock /Volumes/Stock"

This appears to be working because from a browser  http://webserv.domain.com/Stock/fol1/fol2/somefile.jpg  returns a Forbidden message and if I purposely create a bum link I get a file not found.

The user account that was used to mount the volume to the web server is a LDAP (open directory) user and has RWX privileges to the share as does the group.  From what I have read it would appear that others has to have RWX as well (currently others just has R), but I cannot make that volume shared as 777.   So is there a way to make this work?

Thanks in advance,

James Nierodzik

P Please consider the environment
before printing this email.