Re: How to restart Apache

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 01:41:48PM +0200, export@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Is there a way how to restart Apache if pid file is missing?
> I use my own demon.It happened  that the demon deleted  /var/run/apache2.pid   file.
> Then I can not use /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>
> but I must restart my Debian server by init 6 .
> After that the Apache starts normally.
>
> So, if the init 6 can solve the problem  ,
> is there a way how to restart Apache without restarting the server( Debian box)
> Thank you for help
> L.a.

Check whether the 'killall' or 'skill' commands have been installed on
your system.  Check the manual pages.  You should be aboe to do one of
these [assuming that the information about 'httpd' renamed to 'apache2'
is correct]:
	killall -HUP apache2
	skill -HUP -c apache2
and then:
	cd /
	/etc/init.d/apache2 start

It looks like 'killall' is in the "psmisc" package, if you don't have it
installed.

http://www.ducea.com/2008/08/18/killall-in-debian/

I will add my voice to the rising choir saying, find out why the thing
disappears before everything goes.  ;-)  What do you mean, you use your
own daemon?  Do you mean, your own shell script to start the daemon?

--
**