Apache 2.2.8 + ProxyErrorOverride errors

Hello everyone; it's been a while since I wrote to this list since everything has been smooth sailing so far ... but I did stumble on an issue just now that requires ya'lls expertise.
I don't want to go into too much detail on "why" we're trying to do what we're doing, but basically I configured Apache 2.2.8 as reverse proxy server in front of an IIS Web Server with Integrated Windows Authentication enabled. Since we have the need to use Apache's 404 ErrorHandler to do some magic on 404 returns code, I had to toggle the "ProxyErrorOverride" flag On. This however breaks the authentication passthru.
If I turn ProxyErrorOverride off again, the authentication works -- but I can no longer use the "ErrorDocument 404". :(
Is there any way I can turn "ProxyErrorOverride" off for "401" status codes? I suspect the answer is no ... if so, any other suggestions?.
Thank you,
   Richard