protecting php controller paths

We are using an MVC framework to develop PHP applications. We have Apache handling requests via the PHP module, Cosign for authentication, and .htaccess for authorization.

Up to a few months ago, we developed/deployed our applications with Zope, which handled both authentication and authorization internally -- so this is new territory for us all around.

One of our apps has 4 views, to be made accessible to 4 separate groups of people. The developer integrated all the interfaces behind a single controller, which makes complete sense from a development standpoint, but now I can't figure out how to restrict access to the views.

Accessing http://fakey.site.edu/student gets you the student.php file which points to the index.php controller. Attempts to restrict / student or /student.php with either <Directory> or <Location> are ignored (which makes sense, since these are neither directories nor locations). What do I need here?

My hack was to copy his code into 4 separate directories and eliminate key pieces in each one so that I can restrict by actual directory. But this is really hacky and not maintainable.

Many thanks for any help you can give!

--
Chris Africa
Web Project Manager