httpd hangs until Max Clients is reached

Hello All,

I have a Sun/Solaris 8 system runing Apache 1.3.31, Tomcat 4.1.29. The system has been solid as a rock the past 3 years until about a month ago. Since then we have been experiencing intermittent hangs every 2 to 3 days.

When the hang occurs, running "apachectl stop" shuts down all the httpd processs except for the parent process. Attempting a forcefull kill of the process has no effect - it refuses to go away. Since not all the processes don't go away, restarting Apache has no effect.

Looking at the logs....

The Access log

When I look at the access log, there is the obvious gap between the time when Apache hangs and the system is rebooted.

The error log

The last time Apache hung, about 35 minutes after the server quit responding, I saw the "reached Max Clients" in the error log. Max Clients was set to 250. So it appears to me that the "Max Client" issue is a result and not the cause of the hang. Prior errors didn't seem to indicate anything definitive. The LogLevel was set to "warn", and today I set it to info too see if I can get Apache to tell me more about what's going on.

Also worth noting is that when the hang occurs, not only are the servlet pages not available, but also the static "Apache Server" web page is not available either.

Other than Apache being hung, the other services on the system appear to be working fine- the issue is specific to the Apache/Tomcat server. At the time of the hang, other protocols such as ICMP, DNS, SMTP, and SSH all seem to be ok.

Has anyone experienced a problem similar to this? Has anyone seen any good troubleshooting tips for cases such as this? I’ve made a first pass through bugzilla without anything definitive showing up.