Tomcat failover

Hi,

I have a Tomcat that has a thread that reads entries from a DB and handles them. In each cycle, it reads all the entries (to a certain limit). I would like to set up a configuration that has a failover Tomcat, that when the first one crashes the second starts to read from the same DB (or a replicated, doesn't matter) and handle entries.
I wouldn't want the second Tomcat to read from the DB, because it would harm the operation of the first when the first is up. I would like it to start working only when the first is down...

How can I know in the second Tomcat that the first have crashed? can mod_jk help?

Thanks.