virtual host issue with apache

When I configure a virtual host for my website, I get a listing of files instead of the home page.  This index file has a .do extension.  However, when I remove this virtual host from the httpd.conf file, the website appears.  The problem is that I need to configure ssl, which requires a virtual host – apache version is httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_1.3 and it is backported with the most current patches available via rpm.  Tomcat version is 5.5.23 and these apps are running on RHES5 (linux), using mod_jk.  Has anyone run into an issue like this that might have a solution?

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose,
please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by
persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.