Re: Re: <Location /> for a whole site BUT one directory

Ralph Kutschera wrote:
André Warnier schrieb:
Ralph Kutschera wrote:

I did this test:
<Location /> AuthName "Server" [..]</Location>
<Location /public> AuthName "Public"  [..]</Location>

The funny thing about that: When trying to access https://domain.com/public I'm getting ask for the "Public" realm first and after supplying a correct user/passwd I'm getting asked for the "Server" realm. So it's anyhow the opposite of "inherited".

Well, no, it actually means that they *are* being "inherited".
If, in the "/public" directory, you are being asked for things that are defined only in "/", then it means that "/public" inherits them from "/". So, it would seem that the only way of not being asked for them in "/public", would be to somehow use the same directives in "/public" as in "/", but in a way that would "override" the ones in "/" *and* allow access to anyone.

I really don't know about Apache 1.3 anymore, and authentication stuff seems to have changed quite a bit between 1.3 and 2.x.

But what about trying this :

<Directory /var/www/sitex/docs/public>
  AuthXXX .. (copy all directives as in Location "/")
  order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
  Satisfy any
</Location>

By the way, what is actually "AuthXXX" ? What kind of authentication is being used there ?

And also by the way, is it not possible to upgrade to Apache 2.x ? In terms of configuration as I recall, the differences are not that big. It can be more work if you are using something like mod_perl on your site. But if that is the case, then also there *is* a solution to your problem.

As another separate consideration, the fact that you are being asked for the /public realm and then for the / realm sounds like a bug. In reality, according to (what I remember of) the literature, none of the "Auth" stuff should even be active unless you have at least one "Require" directive. That's also what makes me think that the /public inherits the directives from the / (the "Require" being among them). But that kind of subtle background stuff about the scope of some directives and their "inheritance" is precisely what could be different between 1.3 and 2.x, and not be very clearly documented.

André