Re: <Location /> for a whole site BUT one directory

André Warnier schrieb:
André Warnier wrote:
Ralph Kutschera wrote:
Hallo list!

I've been searching the archive but it seems there isn't yet a solution to this:

  I would like to have a whole site to be accessed only by user/passwd:

<Location />
  AuthXXX [..]
</Location>

  Only one directory should be accessible without authentication:
<Location /public>
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from All
</Location>

This does not work. I'm getting asked for user/passwd whenever I try to access http://domain.com/public

On second thought..
The answer may be in the Apache doc.  It is well-hidden, but it's there.
See
:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#require
section : Removing controls in subdirectories

It looks like by just adding "Satisfy any" in the <Location /public> section , it may do the trick.

Try it and tell, I am interested.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. It's again the <Location /> directive that comes up. With the test mentioned above:

<Location />
  AuthName "Server"
  AuthXXX [..]

  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow From All

  Satisfy All
</Location>

<Location /public>
  AuthName "Public"
  AuthXXX [..]

  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow From All

  Satisfy any
</Location>

Here, I'm not getting asked for the "Public" realdm but again for the "Server" realm :(

By the way, I think that it would be safer to define this via <Directory> sections than via <Location>. For <Location />, it does not matter, because that's going to be the same as you document root no matter what. But, if your server were to be on a host whose file names are case-insensitive (like Windows), then a user requesting a URL like "/Public/x" would not fall under the conditions that apply to "/public/x" (and nevertheless get the document).

My server will always be case-sensitive. So I don't care :-)

My intention was to protect a virtual host from URL-attacks as there are some applications written by myself and I'm no professional. There are some few users who will get access as I can trust them.
And then there should be a /public directory that can be accessed by anyone.

greetings,
  Ralph