Re: A question about the request line and the referer

You did not address the question to me, but

the "referer", as meaning the content of the field in the access log that contains that information, is : - the content of the "Referer:" HTTP header sent by the client that requests a URL on your site.
Nothing more, nothing less.
If the client that accesses your site does not send "Referer:" headers with its requests, you will get "-" in your logs for that request. If the client accesses your site and sends bogus "Referer:" headers, that is what you will get in your logs, like in my previous "Planet Mars " example.

Now, assuming the client is a well-behaved browser :

Paul Li wrote:
solprovider,

I'm really appreciated your message and it helps me A LOT!!! Just want
to clarify the two cases when the referer is url :

1. "The referer is the URL of the page containing the link if someone
clicks a link from a website on the Internet"
a. the referer URL is the  "website on the Internet" from which a user
clicks the link, and
No. Usually it is the URL of the *page* (on another website or on your own website), which contains a link to a URL on your website. Because the user clicked that link (and requested a page on your website), you get a line in your access log.

b. the " website on the Internet"  is aother website but not my website.
It can be either one. If a user clicks a link on a page that came from your own website (call it page A), and that link points to another page on your own website (call it page B), you will get in your access log a line representing the access to page B, and this line will contain, as referer, "page A".

2. "The referer is the URL of the page containing an image or other
immediately downloaded file".
this url is of a web page on my my site.
See above.
If a page on another website contains a link to an image on your website, you will get an access to your website (for the image), with as referer the other page on the other website.

The above, as solprovider indicated, is only true if the browser really accesses your website to get the object. If it uses a version that it has saved in cache before, it will not access your website and you will not have a line in your access log.