ramdon lags (15seconds), altering KeepAlive and associates, then apache reboot

        Hello,
we encountered some bad performances, and, look for network problems, then NIC problems, we now suspect apache bad settings. We are out of idea, and need some help to understand how apache work, and how parameters can affect its performances.
First, we experienced random lags with apache, those lags were frequent and lasted more than 10 seconds. (default apache settings).
We altered the apache configuration, and we noticed that apache reboots after some time (the second apache process) ; we de-activated the apache logs, for fearing bad apache performances. Those are the parameters altered and their values :

KeepAlive           ON
MaxKeepAliveRequest 500
KeepAliveTimeout    600
ThreadPerChlid      200

We observed that apache at launch creates 200 threads, and then creates new threads up to 400; then it keeps 400 threads, and restart after about 1 hour.

Have someone an idea ? Question ? Explanation on how this  settings affect apache ?

* Hardware/Soft
windows 2003 server R2 SP1 (bi-XEON, 2GO RAM)
apache 1.3.33
php 5.1.2 used as module
all clients and server on local network

* Stats (gained via wireshark) per seconds
35  GET (simple file gets : javascript, images, css, and so on)
32  HTTP1.1/301 NOT MODIFIED
2   GET via php
3   POST via php
0.5 POST via CGI