mod_proxy and disconnections

Folks;

dealing with this issue again; yet not really being capable of resolving it.
Maybe someone does have some more ideas on that. Scenario:

- apache 2.2 (Ubuntu 8.04) as reverse proxy in front of a glassfish v2
application server (seems to be unrelated to the latter one, though, same
issue appearing with tomcat 6.x). Reverse proxying is done using mod_proxy
and ProxyPass / ProxyPassReverse directives, but the same behaviour also
appears using tomcat+mod_jk. Likewise, the same behaviour used to be around
using apache 2.0, both in mod_proxy- and mod_rewrite setup.

- Generally, access to proxied resources works for all clients. However in
some cases (involving downloading larger files - > 10 megs, up to 250 megs
in some situations), connection seems to prematurely end, resulting in data
not being completely transferred to the client. On the java backend servers,
this is being noticed as a ClientAbortException - "connection reset by
peer". The clients to complain about this behaviour however haven't
consciously terminated the transmission / reset the connection. This
behaviour _seems_ to be limited to virtually all versions of MS Internet
Explorer, while in some cases on the same client host things work well with
Firefox or Opera (on others, people don't have a choice...). Most common
explanation to be found around the web is that "MSIE sometimes doesn't
cleanly end connections" and so these exceptions are caused by this
behaviour, thus not to worry about them - in our case we actually _have_ to
worry about them anyway as they _do_ end the connection / transmission. :/

- After discussing this on the glassfish mailing list [1], I have been
hinted to disable keep-alive connections in the backend system which did
provide a minor improvement though not resolve all of the issue.

- Messing with KeepAlive configuration on apache2.2, same way, had as little
effect as applying the "Protocol Adjustments" outlined in [2].

- Thoroughly browsing through the apache2.2 error log, I don't see any
things hinting me what possibly could be wrong here...

So, overally, I am pretty clueless now, lacking even a good starting point
for further investigations and debugging. Has anyone out here seen similar
things and, eventually, got past them?

Thanks in advance, kind regards.
Kristian

[1] http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=43555