Setting cookies from proxied backend

I've been asking about this for a couple of days now on #apache so
apologies if you're tired of it before even reading any further.

My question is Is it possible to set up an Apache proxy of another
server in such a way that the proxy is invisible, in terms of cookies
at least? I.e. when I visit my proxy I want cookies from the backend
to get set exactly as if I had visited the backend directly
(by-passing the proxy).

I've been using a test configuration which I will show below. I picked
two big sites to test on. They appear to have been lucky choices as
they seem to exhibit different behaviour.

In the first case, I proxy www.espn.go.com and it appears that (some)
cookies from that site get set when I visit my proxy.

However in the second case, when I proxy www.amazon.com and visit my
proxy, I don't see any cookies (although the headers do contain
Set-Cookies).

Can somebody tell me if I am trying to do something impossible. Will
browser security features prevent cookies for www.espn.go.com being
set when I visit localhost:3333/espn? Or is my set up just wrong?

This is the test config if you want to try it:

Listen 3333
<VirtualHost *:3333>
  ServerName localhost
  DocumentRoot /var/www/revoxy

  ProxyPreserveHost On
  <proxy>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
  </proxy>

  # Cookies from espn get set
  <LocationMatch /espn/>
    ProxyPass http://www.espn.go.com/
    ProxyPassReverse /
    # ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain espn.go.com localhost
  </LocationMatch>

  # Cookies from amazon don't get set
  <LocationMatch /amazon/>
    ProxyPass http://www.amazon.com/
    ProxyPassReverse /
    # ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain amazon.com localhost
  </LocationMatch>
</VirtualHost>

Desperatley awaiting your advice,
JMBO!