Re: how to: apache maintenence page

Hi Apache gurus.
I am looking for a simple way to get a maintenance page up on RHEL4AS running httpd version 2.0.52.
the maintenance page should come up when the site is down...or if there is a maintenence going on...like uploads and such.
I have looked around found .htaccess, or the Rewrite way...but can someone explain me how to do this.  There is too much information scattered around about this and I am looking for a clear answer...step by step directions.  The O'Reilly Apache Cookbook that I have does not give me the answer as well.
Thanks much in advance.

The easiest way, when running in rev-proxy mode at least (as in
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DifferentUserIDsUsingReverseProxy) would be to set ErrorDocument for the 5xx class errors to something appropriate.

Otherwise you could have something along the lines of:

RewriteCond -f /path/to/file/that/gets/touched/on/maintenance/rm/afterwards
RewriteRule ^ http://example.com/maintenance.html [R]

I'm not sure about the performance impact of the latter.

Regards.

# mukarram

So long,
Igor