Apache, mod_dav, and Expression Web

I hope someone can help me with a most frustrating problem!  I am trying
to get Microsoft Expression Web or (if that fails) Frontpage working
with webdav in Apache 2.2.9.  (aside, WHY didn't Microsoft put in
support for sFTP or FTP-SSL?)

I believe (!) that I have Webdav properly setup.  At least, cadaver and
Dreamweaver are able to connect, get and put file, etc.  However,
Frontpage and Expression Web have problems: mainly I get back a "301
Document moved" error, or "X is not a directory."

The current setup has multiple virtual domains served off a single IP,
using apache2-mmp-prefork.  I have a domain, authoring.y.z, to use as a
host.

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin     web@xxx
ServerName      authoring.x.y
DocumentRoot    /var/www/docroot/x.y/pages
ErrorLog        /var/log/apache2/authoring.x.y-error.log
CustomLog       /var/log/apache2/authoring.x.y-access.log combined

         <Directory /var/www/docroot/x.y/pages>
         Dav         On
         AuthType    Digest
         AuthName    authoring.x.y
         AuthUserFile /var/www/docroot/digestusers
         <LimitExcept OPTIONS>
         Require     valid-user
         </LimitExcept>
         </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

I have also tried numerous permutations: using 443 and SSL with Authtype
Basic, playing with the path in <Directory>, and so on.  These have not
helped.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one using Apache2 trying to support
Expression Web.  Am I doing something stupid, or is there a problem in
either mod_dav(fs) or Expression Web?  I would greatly appreciate any tips.

Jeff