Re: Use Apache for compression offloading

Rainer Sabelka wrote:
On Tuesday 24 June 2008 09:22:47 André Warnier wrote:
Hi.

[...]

Hm. I think the check for the Accept-encoding header is hard-coded in mod_deflate. No matter if I SetOutputFilter DEFLATE conditionally or unconditionally, the filter won't compress the output as soon as I unset the Accept-encoding header.

Hmm. It gets more interesting.
Then you probably have to be more sneaky still.
What about this :
- if there is a request Accept-Encoding header, you unset it, but set a variable
- you proxy the request
- you set a first output filter which tests if the variable is set, and if so re-adds an Accept-Encoding header
- you add the DEFLATE filter

The above is based on the presumption that you can add output filters in the order you want. And also that writing (or finding) the first output filter I mention is feasible/easy. I would know how to do the above easily using mod_perl (and a bit differently), but I presume there must be other methods, if you don't already use mod_perl.

André