Re: Weird Ip in access log, need help to understand

Artem Kuchin wrote:

André Warnier пишет:

Artem Kuchin wrote:
I recently upgraded to 2.2 and now i see thing which i have never seen mefore in
the access log:

74.6.29.159, 74.6.8.118 - - [11/Jun/2008:06:28:55 +0400] "GET /Go/ViewProduct/id=883 HTTP/1.1" 200 7195 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp; http://he
lp.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp)"

Following the link to :
http://help.yahoo.com//help/us/ysearch/slurp
may help understand

no, it does not. The problem is not with slurp and is not related to any particular client. It is not even a problem in a common meaning. The question is WHY in this record are 2 (TWO) ip address in
the first field of the record: 74.6.29.159, 74.6.8.118
How it is possible at all? One request comes only from one ip. Where apache takes these
addresses?

Well ok.
Now both IP's are indeed from yahoo's crawlers (of which there are probably many hundreds) :
dent:~# nslookup 74.6.29.159
Non-authoritative answer:
159.29.6.74.in-addr.arpa        name = lj512625.crawl.yahoo.net.
dent:~# nslookup 74.6.8.118
Non-authoritative answer:
118.8.6.74.in-addr.arpa name = llf520026.crawl.yahoo.net.

What I would guess is that Apache somehow regroups identical and simultaneous requests into a single log line. And I would guess that Yahoo crawlers work "in teams", so that it is not surprising that several requests would arrive simultaneously to your server.
I'm just guessing here.

But it's interesting anyway. I have not really looked specifically, but I don't recall seeing such lines on any of our servers.

A question : is the URL in those accesses, a real URL that exists on your site ? I see a 200 OK return code, but some sites return a page even for an invalid URL. If it is not, then there is one item on the Yahoo page that may explain why there are such quasi-simultaneous requests. I think it's called "why is yahoo trying to get strange urls from my site ?"

André