Re: Difference in mod_perl & mod_php

On 04.06.08 01:23, howard chen wrote:
> The difference is, say using mod_perl, modules are long live as long
> as Apache is running and global variables can be shared across request
> from different clients.
>
> If you changed the Perl module (pm), restart of server is needed.
>
> While php don't have this issue. Each request is completely isolated.
>
> So this is why I am asking the difference between mod_perl & mod_php
> in term of Apache processing, what are the difference.

I already explained the difference. Read my explanation again and forget
what you have been thinking about it before. It only confuses you.
Forget about "being close", forget about "processing model".

mod_php reads and interprets PHP scripts stored in www root and sends their
output to user.

mod_perl loads scripts defined in configuration file and parses them when
apache is started. With such modules you can do logging (like mod_log_*),
rewriting requests (like mod_rewrite) or configure apache to configure
virtual hosts from SQL instead of configuration file.

mod_perl does NOT interpret perl files stored in WWW root. However, with
mod_perl, you can create a module that would interpret files stored in WWW
root.

mod_perl is something like using perl scripts instead of compiled binary
code for whatever.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!