Problems with mod_proxy and Apache custom error responses

Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with the following problem. For I project I have been working on we were using Custom Error Responses as described here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/custom-error.html The custom errors were processed by Tomcat which was connected to Apache using mod_jk. In order to pass some additional information to Java code, we used the following directive: JkEnvVar REDIRECT_URL "<UNSET>" in order to send the requested URL to the Java side. In the Java code, the URL was retrieved using:

String redirect_url = (String) request.getAttribute("REDIRECT_URL");

The solution worked great until we switching to mod_proxy_ajp from mod_jk for Tomcat communication. Since this was done, custom error page handling mechanism broke because getAtrribute() call above would always return null. I tried multiple approaches, but so far I am not able to properly pass the value of REDIRECT_URL environment variable to the Java side. Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any information!