From: anonymous <blockstack@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:33:50
To:users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Trouble Shutting Apache Down

I recently installed the Apache 2.2 binary, from the msi for XP.I'm just using it for experimenting, so I decided not to install it as a service.I tried to start it by running "apache" from the command-line as stated in the manual, but that command doesn't exist on my system. PATH is set correctly, plus I examined the Apache2.2 folder, and it isn't present.I then used the shortcut "Start Apache in Console" from the start menu, which did work.A console running apache opens, and remains open. Apache works fine.The manual clearly states that apache can be shutdown by either pressing CTRL-C from the open console, or by typing httpd -k shutdown from another console window.Neither of these methods work. The httpd command appears to work only when apache is run as a service. The error message produced for httpd -k shutdown|stop is that no such service is present.Why is the command "apache" mentioned in the windows section of the documentation, when it isn't present? Why is the option "shutdown" mentioned in the documentation when it isn't present in the httpd manual page?How can I shutdown the server nicely when started from the command line, and not run as a service?