shared hosting with suExec, PHP and Virtualmin

Hello everyone,

I'm configuring a shared hosting system (Ubuntu Server 8.04) with
Virtualmin and trying to configure suExec with apache since I need to
run each virtual host with \different user privileges. But the problem
is that after all the configuration is done as the tutorials,
documentations says, it doesn't work. when I execute a whoami command,
it shows www-data (that's my apache user). I checked the apache error
log, but no error messages were there.

I changed the suExec's document root to /home too. It doesn't generate
any errors, but still not  working. Please help.

I herd that suPHP and mpm-peruser can do similar things. What would
you recommend for a medium size shared hosting system?

Thanks in advance.
Regards