Rewrite Rule Help

I'm trying to hide the /portal/ path for a website behind the scenes
using mod_proxy.  I had to use the RewriteEngine because the website
(not under rmy control) uses some absolute URL references in the code,
and if I don't remove the /portal/ reference it obviously breaks the
site.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}  ^/portal/(.*)
RewriteRule  ^/portal/(.*)   /$1   [R]

That's what I originally came up with, and for static surfing it was
working fine.  But I could never login.  I thought it was, perhaps, a
bug since the packet capture showed the Apache server changing ports
on the FIN ACK section of the TCP transactions.  But I have narrowed
the problem down to my RewriteRule.

If I change the [R] to [P], I'm able to login, but it carries over the
/portal/ path for the rest of the session.  We're trying to hide that.

I'm not an Apache guru and I'm trying to keep the config as simple as
possible.  Is there something else I can try?  Another config
parameter?  I'm reading through the documentation and nothing is
ringing any bells, unless it's using terminology that I don't
understand.

Thanks,
Scott