Re: Setting up single-site anonymizer?

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:39:24AM -0700, Thibaut Colar wrote:

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> > Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is this: I host a
> > website, say http://www.mysite.com, and a specific group
> > of users need to access a specific other site, say
> > http://www.othersite.com anonymously. Content from
> > othersite.com may include cookies, JS, and so forth. I'd
> > like to set it up so that my users can go to, say,
> > http://www.mysite.com/othersite and just seamlessly browse
> > othersite.com; situations where the users need to change
> > their proxy settings will not work for a variety of
> > reasons (including that these are highly non-technical
> > users, and that there are other proxies in use that can't
> > be changed).
> >
> > Can someone suggest the best way to accomplish this? I
> > looked at mod_proxy_html, but was unable to get this set
> > up as easily as I had hoped. If it's the right solution,
> > I'll try harder, or post to its list for help. But given
> > the fact that there are public anonymizers all over the
> > place, I would have thought this is a fairly
> > straightforward task. But I haven't been able to find a
> > good discussion of how to do this.
>
> You should be able to easily accomplish what you want like this:
>
> In your somesite.conf add:
>
> RewriteRule ^/othersite/(.*) http://othersite/$1 [P]
>
> This uses mod_rewrite, as a proxy (the [P] telles it to proxy the request)

Thanks. There seem to be two problems with this:

First, when I enter something into a search box on
othersite.com, the URL I get back is on mysite.com but without
"othersite", e.g.  instead of getting
http://www.mysite.com/othersite/search?foo=bar I get
http://www.mysite.com/search?foo=bar, which gives me a 404
because I need to be at "othersite" for this.

Second, the links on the returned page are all to
othersite.com.  So if I have a result that looks like
http://www.othersite.com/catalog/343, that's the link, period,
and clicking on it will skip my proxy. What I need is the link
to look like http://www.mysite.com/othersite/catalog/343

Is this possible with mod_rewrite, or do I need a more
elaborate solution?

Thanks very much.

Jesse Sheidlower