[OT] Solaris + Apache 2.2 / PHP 5 cluster config help

Hi all,
I know that bits and pieces of high-load configuration questions have been posted to this list (users@httpd) and am CC-ing the mod_perl folks (since I know there are a bunch of knowledgeable people on the subject lurking there, but please post responses to users@httpd), but I'd like to put a bunch of configuration questions in one neat post. Apologies if some people can think of a more appropriate place to have posted.

The short story is that I need to design a Apache/MySQL/PHP cluster (dual [redundant] firewalls + switches + dual [redundant] LBs and/or frontend caching proxies (likely squid) + switches + 4-6 webservers (likely running Solaris) with read-only replicating mysqls - with the hopes that we can scale these up just by adding more hardware and just telling the LBs + dual [redundant] mysql replication masters + shared storage - hopefully a NetApp :)), and am looking for the smartest design for the webservers and application layer in general. I know plenty of theory on the subject, but it's really the first time I've had to design such a setup on my own.

My thoughts were to build httpd-2.2.x-worker, and mod_fastcgi + PHP with the FastCGI SAPI (to keep apache threaded, but allow for non-threadsafe PHP components - since even if I could be sure we weren't using non-threadsafe components in PHP, some unsuspecting developer will undoubtedly screw-up down the line if I build mod_php5). Also, do people have concrete benchmarks of keeping a read-only replication mysql on the webservers vs a single read/write shared mysql server?

I also thought to buffer common DB query results (like php's sessions) in memcached on reads (though don't have any experience there and looking for tips on how to set it up best, how to update on writes - I assume update memcached + backend - and how to prune the old entries from memcached ).

I'm also looking to pre-compile the PHP scripts - preferably in shared memory on each webserver - for faster execution (think ModPerl::Registry), and am a bit stuck there. I've previously used eAccellerator/Turck mmcache, but have found that it doesn't seem to work (for me, at least) with PHP objects and classes, and we use those heavily (at the moment, anyway - if that's the only way to get pre-compilation, then I may force them to stop using OO). We actually already have Zend Guard, but I've been led to understand that that's not really helpful performance-wise, unless you have the full Zend Server, which I'm not sure I'd want to migrate to.

Any helpful pointers would be appreciated.

 Issac