Can't disable Indexes with Options -Indexes

I've got Apache 2.2.8 running and the following configurations (truncated for readability):

conf/httpd.conf:
<Directory "/">
	AllowOverride None
</Directory>
Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf

conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
<VirtualHost *:12345>
	Options -Indexes
</VirtualHost>

conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
<VirtualHost _default:12346>
	Options -Indexes
	SSLEngine on
</VirtualHost

However, when I go to any of the directories in my site without an index page, I see an auto-generated index of the files. I've tried switching the AllowOverride to Options, and adding a .htaccess file, but even when I know the file is being examined (by putting garbage in and trying to access the directory, then replacing the garbage with "Options -Indexes" and reloading), I always get a list of the directory contents. I've also tried using

<Directory /path/to/document/root>
	Options -Indexes
</Directory>

in all three .conf files and that doesn't work either.

I'm able to recompile apache to disable the auto-indexing, but I'd like to also have it disabled in the configuration files by default because I won't always be able to control how apache gets compiled for a production environment.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Mark