htdigest

Hi,

I need my web server to be secure, so I have activated SSL and also have different users with password, depending on the files they can see.
For those users I'm using auth method Digest, and want to manage them from the web server (add/modify and delete them).
But I can't find how to delete an user with htdigest (like htpasswd -D user) or add/modify an user taking the password from the command line rather than prompting for it (like htpasswd -b user password).
Can anyone please help me? is that possible with htdigest? if it's not, then is it secure manage users having auth method basic with SSL?

Thaks in advance.

Marta