Re: RE : [users@httpd] mod_mem_cache caches incomplete content

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM, PAILLART Frederic
<Frederic.PAILLART@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
>  Thanks a lot for your answer.
>  I was not aware that the disk cache is more performant than mem cache.
>
>  I'm using worker MPM and I've configured my apache server as follow :
>  ServerLimit           4
>  ThreadLimit         502
>  StartServers          1
>  MaxClients         2008
>  MinSpareThreads      25
>  MaxSpareThreads    1024
>  ThreadsPerChild     502
>  ThreadStackSize  100000
>
>  My idea was to maximize the number of threads sharing the same heap to take
> all benefits of the memory cache module.
>  In my context, I have only few objects, but big ones (iso files).
>  It's why my feeling was to use this memory module and such configuration.
>
>  Do you think really that is a bad idea ??

In the context of the current state of the mem cache, yes, I do
consider that a bad idea. The mem cache is not well tested. And in
addition, on systems with good buffer caches, the disk cache will be
able to share one memory/buffer cached object across all threads and
processes and use zero-copy IO (sendfile) to deliver it to the
network.

>  I'm preparing a patch to correct the mem module bug, and writing a new
> cache module based on shared memory.
>  Do you think that such new module will be useful for the community ?

Possibly. You'd need to show that it actually outperformed the disk
cache in some scenarios. It's a topic you should definitely bring up
on the dev list rather than here.

Joshua.