Re: Getting actual filesystem location of request URI in a script

I figured one way to solve the problem. I have an index.cgi script in every directory like /somedir. This reads index.cgi from the main location and eval's it in the lexical context.

That way whenever i change the index.cgi file in the main location I dont need to worry about copying it to every directory like /somedir.

Further the index.cgi script in /somedir is never going to change since it just reads the file and eval's it.

Maybe it is slightly inefficient, but so far so good instead of updating index.cgi files in dozens of directories.

Emmanuel E wrote:
Hi,

I have the following configuration:

Alias /abcd/ /somedir
<Directory /somedir>
DirectoryIndex /cgi-bin/index.cgi

When I access /abcd the script index.cgi gets executed. However it gets executed with the current working directory set to cgi-bin. Is there anyway to get it to execute with current directory set to somedir?

I checked the environment variables passed to the script. None of them give any inkling of the the existence of /somedir.

Is it possible to get the actual filesystem path as specified by the Directory directive in script, before it is translated by DirectoryIndex ?

Basically I want index.cgi to be executed whenever a certain set of Aliases are accessed. However I dont want to maintain an index.cgi file in each filesystem directory location referenced by the Aliases. I would like to have a common index.cgi file but which can figure out which filesystem directory it was originally supposed to have been found.

Thanks,
Emmanuel