Fetching pages from a user's home filestore on windows

We're currently running apache on Netware, including the ability for
users to make pages available via a public.www directory on their
netware home filestore. Over the summer, we're replacing Netware with
a windows back end, and therefore apache on netware (and the mod_edir
that provides netware home directory support) will be going away.

I'm therefore trying to set up apache on windows, to do the same job.
This is just for simple page serving, nothing fancy, but needs to
include the home filestore mechanism, such that;

http://myserver/~username

fetches pages from;

[username's home filestore]\public.www

where 'username' is an account in active directory, with a home
directory attribute that specifies where their filestore is.

So far, I've not been able to get this to work. Experiments with
apache on a test workstation (XP SP2, joined to the domain) look up
home directories for users in the workstation's local SAM, but not in
AD (it looks for ~username inside the document root).

Experiments on a member server (Win2003 R2) seems to always look for
~username inside the document root, and doesn't appear to invoke any
look up of the AD home directory attribute.

In both cases, apache is running as a console app, as a user with
permissions to see the files concerned. I've checked the UNCs in the
same session that apache is running in, and it can access the files.

In httpd.conf, I've uncommented the userdir module;

LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so

and uncommented the include of the userdir conf;

Include conf/extra/httpd-userdir.conf

In the userdir conf, I've set;

UserDir "public.www"

and made the corresponding change to the Directory access below it.
Other than that, and the server name etc, configuration is default.

Cranking the loglevel up to debug doesn't reveal any extra information
related to home directory support.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong, or is this something that
isn't possible in the first place?

The number of users involved is large, so creating a symbolic link or
similar for each user is not a realistic solution. Also, the path to
the home filestore is not the same for all users, so an approach with
wildcards (\\server\users\*\public.www) isn't an option either. It
really needs to pull the UNC for that user out of AD, and append the
userdir to that.

Any help gratefully received...

Mike
--
Mike Sandells
The University of Liverpool - Computing Services Department