Odd character behavior

Hi all,

I moved some .htm files from an old apache install to my new virtualmin pro install on Debian Etch.  (I tar-gziped the files, then used scp to transfer.)

(The pages were on an NT IIS server before the other apache install, so that may come into play.)

When the webpages load, I get non-printable characters.

Here is an example of what I see for these characters in vi, on the server:

1930<96>60s

when I view the source in firefox, I see this (same as on the webpage):

1930�60s

and finally, when I pull the page down to my windows desktop via ftp, I see this in the source:

1930–60s

The characters displayed normally on the other, apache 1.3 install.

Best I can tell, it's an ANSI, extended ASCII, MS Windows type of thing.

Any ideas? My googling got me nowhere...

I'm on Apache 2.2.3.

Thanks,

GS

Gary Smithe A+, MCSE, LPIC-1