Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 5:51 PM
Subject: mod_headers bug?

Has anyone had experiences where mod_headers directives often fail to have any effect?
- It is unable to modify headers, only create & modify newly added headers.

Within my .htaccess file I carried out the following simple tests.

1)
Header always set MyCustomHeader myCustomValue
-- this works fine

Header always set MyCustomHeader2 unsetMe
Header always unset MycustomHeader2
-- works as expected - the header is not in the response

2)
Header always set Cache-Control max-age=33
-- this works ONLY if apache doesnt normally include a Cach-Control header of its own accord.

3)
Header always set Cache-Control max-age=33
Header always unset Cache-Control
-- as with 2), this works ONLY if apache hasnt already added such a header

It seems that mod_headers cannot operate on *existing* headers! - Only on headers generated by itself!
I have searched through various bug lists, archives, documentation etc.. but to no avail.

NB, I have used the 'always' condition keyword to ensure all header tables are used. Without this keyword, the tet results are the same.

Environment:
Linux, Fedora Core 5
httpd 2.2.2

Regards,