using non-standard SSL ports

I run a web server with a bunch of websites, all of which need an SSL connection. Instead of buying a big block of new IP addresses, I'm thinking of running the SSL virtual hosts on non-standard ports, like 444, 445, etc. (just an example... I'd probably use a higher set of numbers.)

Since the only time visitors use the SSL connection is when they are accessing private info or checking out, all of which are reached by clicking internal links, I don't see any reason why this should be a problem.

In other words, if a user on sample.com wants to login, for example, he'd click the 'login' link, which has an address like http:// sample.com:444/login.html

I don't see any reason why a normal visitor would have to type an https address for these particular websites, so they won't every have to enter the port # by hand.

Even if a visitor bookmarked a secure page, they would bookmark the port.

This seems like a very simple way to conserve IP addresses. I've tested it all, and it works fine. Am I missing some serious downside? The only problem I can see is that I have to open more ports on my firewall, but I don't see why 444 should be any more vulnerable than 443.

Why don't you see more SSL addresses like this? Why shouldn't I do this?

Any comments, much appreciated.

Brgds: John