Re: mod_proxy performance with apache 2.2

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Skye Poier Nott <skye@xxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am doing some load testing on a reverse proxy with apache 2.2 +
>  mod_proxy and I'm getting terrible throughput, I was wondering if
>  anyone had a suggestion.
>
>  I have the following config, all on gigabit ethernet:
>
>  1 origin server -> 2 mod_proxy servers -> 4 client simulators (flood)
>
>  The origin and proxy servers are configured with 100 name-based
>  virtual hosts, the proxy servers with config like this:
>
>  <VirtualHost *:80>
>          ServerName w0099.example.com
>          ProxyPass / http://10.100.10.XX:80/w0099/
>          ProxyPassReverse / http://10.100.10.XX:80/w0099/
>  </VirtualHost>
>

>  When I start up flood on the client simulators (250 clients each), I
>  only get about 4 Mbit/sec out of the origin server.  I've tried
>  twiddling all the settings in mod_proxy to no avail (like smax=64
>  max=512 ttl=120 min=8 acquire=1)
>
>  If I set up lighttpd on the proxy servers, I fully saturate the gigE
>  on the origin server (~500 Mbit/sec)
>
>  What could explain this 125x difference in performance?  Is there some
>  sort of resource or lock or something contention in mod_proxy that I
>  should know about?

I'm not a mod_proxy performance expert (and you might need to ask on
the dev@httpd list to find one), but you should start with the basics:
have you looked at the mod_status server-status output? Are you
exceeding MaxClients? Is there anything interesting in the error log?

Joshua.