apache process locks at 100% cpu usage

Hi all,

On a php driven webpage we do 2 asynchronous requests with an xmlhttprequest immediately after the page loads. The first request returns without a problem, the second never returns and leaves the server (ubuntu dapper drake with apache 2.2.4) with an apache process using (according to the top command) 100% CPU. If you try, in the same browser window, to go to an other page the request wont load and stopping the server does not kill the process.

I did some debugging with xDebug on the second request after the pageload (which does not use any database functions) and doing this, or in other words delaying the response of the service, lets the request finish fine and doesn't leave the server with an unfinished process.

Any idea what to do?

I have the impression this has something to do with concurrent request handling, MPM. We're using prefork and the settings are:

# prefork MPM # StartServers: number of server processes to start # MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare # MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare # MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start # MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves <IfModule mpm_prefork_module> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 100 MaxClients 150 MaxRequestsPerChild 0
</IfModule>

Thanks, Evert