Re: IP sharing by several web servers and computers

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Jan Mura wrote:

So I put into httpd.conf the 10.0.0 firstly and the Apache started. Now I put into Win Apache the adress of the router 90.177.103.168 and it started but I think it cannot run together with the same adress and port. It is quite

IP-Adresses always have to be uniquely assigned to one maschine each. You can not assign the same address to two or more machines on a network, so if 90.177.103.168 is the IP your router uses on its public interface, you can not "recycle" it internally.

However, many routers support something called "port forwarding". Yours might as well, check its documentation. Basically, this would allow your router to forward all requests it receives on some port - 80 for web servers - to another IP address. You could configure it to forward port 80 requests to one of your 10.0.0.0/8 addresses, and assign that to your Apache.

Load balancing is actually a special case of this, where the so-called load balancer can forward requests to more than one server based on a rulesset. Your router most likely won't support this, but apache 2.2's mod_proxy does if I am not mistaken (check the documentation to make sure). So in theory you could build what you're trying to do - but if I read you correctly the port forwarding thing alone should solve your problem.

Best wishes,
Nils