Re: ErrorDocument not working for HTTP code 413

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 Ramdas.Hegde@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I am using httpd 2.2.4 with BEA Weblogic plug-in for Apache.
I have configured the ErrorDocument to handle HTTP return codes returned by
the app. I have set a MaxPostSize attribute on the WLS plug-in to limit the
file uploads.
When i simulate HTTP status 413 for large file uploads by doing a
multi/form-data post in my browser, though the plug-in/httpd seem to be
returning a HTTP code 413  as is seen in the access log, the ErrorDocument
that i have configured to handle this does not seem to kick in.
The ErrorDocument does work for other configured error codes which means my
webserver configuration is right.

Does it work for other error codes returned by Bea, or did you test them "outside" the Weblogic application's mountpoint? I ask because we have a similar setup (with Apache 2.0.x) and during my trials, no return code returned from Bea whatsoever triggered the custom ErrorDocuments but it worked fine for all other situations.

I found a workaround, but it was not specific to any particular return code, and it is *quite* horrible, so I am interested to learn if your versions of Apache + Bea-Plugin are better behaved.

(The workaround was to put a reverseproxy in front of the main virtualhost, and activate ProxyErrorOverride for it so the reverse proxy can serve the custom error documents instead. It works, but... it's not a solution I am overly happy with.)

We did submit this as an issue to Bea, but unfortunately I never received any follow up information after they accepted the problem report. If it was indeed a bug with their plugin, and you use a very current version, they may have (more or less) fixed it.

Best wishes,
- Nils