Re: mod_rewrite redirecting multiple domain names to the one name

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Viv D-F wrote:

I figure this is a fairly common problem, but I haven't been able to find
any examples of how this is usually done.  I'm not convinced that this is
best done in the Apache config.  Is this done at the DNS instead?

There are, I think, three ways to do this. The first is what you're thinking of, find an example here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/rewrite_guide.html#canonicalhost

Secondly, setting "UseCanonicalName on" may work to redirect you to the correct hostname. I never use this myself, but I remember vaguely that it does something like this. I am not entirely sure of course, but you could easily test it yourself:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#usecanonicalname

Thirdly, you could simply add one or more extra virtualhost(s) which takes care of all the "extra" hostnames and do a simple RedirectPermanent / http://site1.com/ or something similar in its configuration. This last solution is especially useful if you'd like to easily log the access / referrers to the "unwanted" site names.

Best wishes
- Nils