Caching reverse proxy with Apache 2.2

Hello,

I am currently setting up a caching reverse proxy server with Apache
2.2 : no problem to configure the reverse proxy, nor to configure data
caching.

However, as soon as the "source" server is unavailable, the reverse
proxy shows errors (service unavailable) instead of serving cached
content it already has.

I checked up options for the ProxyPass directive, without success. The
problem appears with dynamic content but also static content like
images that have a far-future Expire header on the source server.

My current configuration is (inside a virtual host block) :
> ProxyPreserveHost On
> ProxyPass / http://backend/ timeout=3
> ProxyPassReverse / http://backend/
> ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain backend public
> CacheRoot /home/webcache
> CacheEnable disk /
> CacheDirLevels 5
> CacheDirLength 3
> CacheIgnoreNoLastMod On
> CacheDefaultExpire 3600
> CacheMaxExpire 86400

Does anybody knows how to ask the reverse proxy to serve cached
content even when backend server is down ?

Thanks,
Julien