Re: Problem with '$123' in url, mod_rewrite or apache bug?

Wow don't I feel silly, that was it!

Thanks Joshua.
On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Patrick Ritchie <pritchie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

 This pastie best expresses the problem I am encountering:

 http://apache.pastebin.ca/913221

 For some reason a url like 'http://my.sever.com/viewFullItem$123'

 Is having the '$1' removed before I get a chance to process it. Now $1
 looks to me like a regex back reference, but I'm not sure if it's being
 stripped by mod_rewrite or a security feature of apache itself. I
 checked the RFC and '$' seems to be a safe character in HTTP.

 The really odd thing is that I am getting the same results in my access
 log even if RewriteEngine is turned off, which leads me to suspect that
 the problem may be with the core server and not mod_rewrite.

 Ideally I would just change the URL format to something not using a $,
 but it's a legacy url from the app that used to run on my domain, and I
 would like to redirect these urls to my legacy server.

 Any ideas?

Your access_log entries show the URL when it is first received from
the client, before any processing. These entries don't show any $1.
This implies to me that your client is not sending the $1. If you are
trying to access these urls using a shell-client, the shell might be
grabbing the $1 before it even gets to the client.

Joshua.