Re: language-based redirection

On Feb 1, 2008 11:18 AM, Zbigniew Szalbot <zszalbot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is my first post to this list. I run Apache/2.0.61 on a FreeBSD 6.3
> server. I would like to be able to set up a simple redirection because
> I want to offer content in two languages.
>
> I read about content negotiation in apache server and saw the example
> files in the root www directory.
>
> I just want to be able to do exactly the same thing as in the example
> installation but I am not sure why it does not work in my case.
>
> I do have
> AddHandler type-map var
> in my httpd.conf
>
> There is index.html.var in the root folder.
>
> It does have:
>
> URI: index.html.po.iso8859-2
>
> defined in it. And yet while my browser language is PL, the website
> server does not serve the index.html.po.iso8859-2.
>
> What should I check to make it work?

What are you requesting in the browser? You'd need to request
index.html.var to make that work. You might prefer to use multiviews,
where you don't need to explicitly specify all the variants. But in
either case, you need to name all your variants with the proper
language codes. So if you have an en and pl version, you need
index.html.en
and
index.html.po...
Then requesting index.html with multiviews on will trigger language negotiation.

Joshua.