Figuring out the order in which directives apply

Is there some document I can read to help me understand the order in
which configuration directives from different modules apply?

In this instance I wanted to know whether I could use Allow/Deny rules
before a request gets picked off and handed over to a servlet
container by mod_jk.  There didn't seem to be any obvious way to
answer the question except by experiment.  (My result:  I *think* this
works.)

Experiment always serves, but can be tricky to test.  And there's a
tendency to learn lessons that are overbroad, and later fall victim to
unproven assumptions.  It would be nice if I could just read something
and determine which things will happen to a model request in which
order.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he