Question about virtual hosts and wildcards

Hi,

I am only semi-experienced with Apache, and have maybe a strange question.  I need to set up a name-based virtual host pointing the subdomain "foo" to a certain directory for any domain that's configured in DNS to point to the box.  Would it work if I set it up with one of those domains in the ServerName slot, e.g. "foo.domain.com", and added a ServerAlias for "foo.*.com"?

Alternately, is there a limit on how long the ServerAlias line can be in terms of characters?  Or would I want to add separate, multiple ServerAlias lines for large numbers of subdomains - would that concatenate the entries, or drop all but one line, or cause Apache to puke?

It's kind of a production environment, so I don't really have the leisure to experiment and try it out, and am hoping to gain some insight here.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

--
Jamie M. Randell
jamiemr@xxxxxxxxx