RE: Load balancing problem

Hello there,

Although I am not very experienced in using proxy_balancer, I did experiment with it a little bit a while ago.

>From what I remember, it expects the route to be appended to the balancer cookie value. In your example it is expecting a cookie of JSESSIONID=0000K8zpkCtCy6l9Y91Q86bETpX:-1.1 or JSESSIONID=0000K8zpkCtCy6l9Y91Q86bETpX:-1.2

If a valid route is not found in the cookie, it will not apply stickiness.

Unless you can actually yourself determine part of the value of JSESSIONID in order to include a route which can be interpreted by proxy_balancer, JSESSIONID is not a good balancer cookie. What I did myself was to set a cookie on the browser whenever I detected a request not containing a balancer cookie.

        RewriteMap  bID rnd:/path/balancers.map

        RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE}      !BALANCER=route
        RewriteRule . - [CO=BALANCER:route.${bID:rand}:%{ENV:domain}]

The balancers.map file may contain:

rnd	1|2|3|4

Another way of setting the cookie would be to direct a request not containing a cookie to a specific path on the application server, let the balancer determine which application server that should be, and let the application server set a cookie corresponding to itself.

        RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE}      !BALANCER=route
        RewriteRule . /myapp/setbalancercookieandcreatesessionobject

or something like that.

It would be interesting to know what others are doing on that subject.

-ascs