Re: Will Apache still work with Windows SP1?

Norman Peelman wrote:
Thanks for anyone who might be willing and able to help me (me = a total Apache novice) with this question. The Apache documentation states <http://apache.mirror.testserver.li/httpd/binaries/win32/README.html> that for running Apache HTTP for windows XP, I should download SP2. However, I have SP1, and want to avoid the risk of installing SP2. *Any idea if Apache will still run well with SP1, or if indeed downloading SP2 is critical for Apache?*
I was running it just fine on a sp1 XP. It was an Apache2 but could not tell you which one. I'm sure it's security related as to why they say 'should'.

Primarily, issues with socket layered providers.  In vanilla XP, the
loopback adapter didn't even work.  In SP1 they rolled in fixes to
their drivers.  And with wldap32 there have been fixes to both SP1 & 2.
If you don't use ldap I wouldn't be as concerned, although if you are
running an outward facing server, and you aren't applying service packs
to let you receive new security fixes, that's your foolishness.

We've essentially also dropped Win9x so all of the comments related to that are now meaningless.

The text previously read;

First upgrade to at least Internet Explorer 6, Service Pack 1.
You don't have to use it, but it just happens to include updates and
bug fixes you must install, including the wldap32.dll that Apache 2.2
<strong>requires</strong> to start.  Alternately, you can refer to
>KB article 288358</a>, along with the troublesome-to-obtain update from
>KB article 323455</a>.  If you already have wldap32.dll in your
Windows\System32 directory with version 5.0.2168.1, you are fine.
If you are installing on Windows 98, <a href="#msi">obtain the MSI
installer</a> if you have not done so before (Windows ME users are
in the clear, it was installed with the operating system).</p>