Would like to understand this weird url request

Hi Folks,

When I request the following URL from our webserver (via a browser):

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/vegetation/index.html/templates/headline_temp.
php

I get the weirdest thing....I actually get a response as if what I was
really requesting was:

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/vegetation/index.html

In the htdocs directory structure, /vegetation/index.html is a file not
a dir, and there definitely isn't a
/vegetation/index.html/templates/headline_temp.php file.

If anyone can help me understand this phenomena, I would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers, Dazed and confused (aka Craig)

Environment: Apache 1.3.36 on Sun Solaris 8

The information in this email together with any attachments is
and/or publication of this email message is prohibited, unless
as a necessary part of Departmental business.
computer system network.