RE: Requests taking a lot of time

What MPM are you using? What is the output of httpd -l ??

-ascs

________________________________

De : Jean-Christophe Roux [mailto:jcxxr@xxxxxxxxx]
Envoyé : mercredi 2 janvier 2008 17:59
À : users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet :  Requests taking a lot of time

Hello,

I am struggling with an issue and I have the following set up that reproduces the problem.
I am running apache 2.2 on Centos 5.0.
On the client side, I have a web page that polls the server every second. Using prototypejs, it looks like that:
setInterval('polling();', 1000);
function polling()
{
  new Ajax.Request
  ( 'polling_server.php',
    { onSuccess: function(transport)
      {
      }
    }
  );
}

the polling_server.php does nothing:
<?php ?>
Most queries takes around 100-150 ms for a round trip (measured using firebug)
Sooner or later though, one of those requests will take a lof of time and will timeout after 74000ms.
Also, there are sequences of requests that  take a lot of time (5, 10 seconds sometimes more) and then the system gets back to the normal 100ms.
it looks like a jam. I'd like to understand why this is happening so that I can fix it. How could I explore the issue further?
Where does the 74000ms come from? Is it something I can change in apache?

Thanks