Re: how to compile mod_dav to use dbm, not sdbm/gdbm

This is still a problem,
But I think I figured out what the issue is.

apr-util-1.2.12
apache-2.2.6

The apr-util's ./configure will always configure SDBM to compile as the default
option, and no matter that --with-db=<dbm> you choose, ./configure will always
choose the default, SDBM, as it never recognizes your --with-db input.

So I corrected the ./configure so it will configure with gdbm.
It still selects the default (not recognizing --with-dbm=) but I changed the
default from SDBM to GDBM.

With these changes, apr-util compiles successfully with GDBM.

Next I compile Apache 2.2, which compiles successfully with this apr-util.

I load mod_dav module successfully.
When I PUT a file, it looks like it creates the GDBM database files successfully
(LockDB and PropsDB), but with 0 zero size.

When I perform another PUT and it attempts to access the GDBM files, I get an
error about not being able to query the locks.

[Wed Dec 19 14:26:44 2007] [error] [client 2.1.1.1] The locks could not be
queried for verification against a possible "If:" header.  [500, #0]
[Wed Dec 19 14:26:44 2007] [error] [client 2.1.1.1] (11)Resource temporarily
unavailable: Item not found  [500, #15]

Then I went back and added a flag GDBM_NOLOCK to the gdbm_open function in
dbm/apr_dbm_gdbm.c, to make GDBM never lock (flock) the GDBM files.

With these changes, apr-util compiles successfully with GDBM and the flag
GDBM_NOLOCK.

When I start apache 2.2 and perform a PUT, I get the same error about not being
able to query the locks in the LockDB file.

It looks like mod_dav/mod_dav_fs inherits the database format from apr-util.
And with apr-util always selecting SDBM, regardless of what we choose with
./configure --with-db=<dbm>, as the default dbm and it works.
When I fix this apr-util issue so it uses the dbm I choose, gdbm,
mod_dav_fs/mod_dav doesn't work with dbm files.

I want to think that mod_dav_fs was only able to be tested to support SDBM, and
not any other format like GDBM, although I see all the gdbm libraries in the
dav/main directory when compiling Apache 2.2.

Do I have to change something in Apache 2.2 to also get mod_dav_fs/mod_dav to
use the gdbm database type when gdbm is the default for apr-util?

Can anyone provide any information?

-RG