Re: access.log problem

Staf Wagemakers wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 12:04 AM, Steve Reilly <sfreilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sfreilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     I admit through fault of my own, the apache2 access logs were deleted.
>     My question is this,  are these logs automagically regenerated on
>     their
>     own when apache2 is restarted?, and if they are, what can I do if
>     they
>     have not been regenerated by numerous apache2 restarts, and also
>     complete system reboots.
>

> The access-log file is created automatically at a httpd server start
> if it doesn't exists..
>
> apache2ctl restart should do the trick
>
> --
> Staf Wagemakers   - http://www.wagem <http://www.wagemakers.be>

I wish it was that easy lol, Ive been at this for days now.  system
restarts dont even cure the problem.  All I did was remove all the log
files (access.log through access.log.28) written by apache2 in
/var/log/apache2/ directory thinking that an apache2 -k restart or
apache2ctl restart would rewrite them but it did not.  now Im screwed,
because everything ive tried is not working.  The reason why I did this
is because for some reason beyond me apache was no longer writing to
access.log.1 . it  stopped one day and never continued.  Webalizer
showed no logs after like the middle of november, and if I did a tail -f
/var/log/apache2/access.log.1 nothing showed no matter how many times I
accessed any site of mine.   I never messed with ownership of any
directory in /var.  error.log shows normal operations, which im curious
about?  if apache2 is not able to write logs, wouldnt it say something
about it?